We've listed the things you need to consider before buying bathroom towels
Bathroom towels not only bring colour and pattern to the bathroom, they are an everyday essential that’s worth getting right, so here’s our top tips on finding the right towel for you.
How many towels do you need?
* Consider what combination of towels you need and whether you want a matching set. Towel bales are cost-effective sets that usually offer 2 face cloths, 2 hand towels and 2 bath towels, but if you want larger bath sheets you’ll have to buy individual towels.
* Standard towel sizes are usually:
Bath sheets 100 x 150cm
Bath towel 70 x 125cm
Hand towel 50 x 90cm
Face cloth 30 x 30cm
* You should aim to allocate each member of the family two bath sheets, two bath towels and two face cloths, so they alway have a clean one when one is in the wash. Hand towels can be limited to one per bathroom, and of course always have plenty of spare towels of all sizes for guests.
What type of bathroom towels are there?
* Egyptian cotton towels are the most luxurious and absorbent as they have a long, thick loops. They are also the most expensive towels so consider them as a long term investment.
* Supima cotton towels are a good alternative to costly Egyptian towels, as they are
also soft and very durable, but are less luxurious and this is reflected in their price.
* Waffle towels have a textured surface and their lightweight nature makes them handy for travelling.
* Standard towels are made from synthetic fibres and are therefore less absorbent and are a lesser quality than cotton towels, however they are low-cost and are ideal if you’re planning to change them frequently.
What colour and design should you choose?
* Plain white towels will bring a hotel chic look to any bathroom and will complement any scheme, dark or light.
* If you want your towels to make a statement choose a contrasting colour or pattern.
* For a more subtle look, choose towels that tone with the tiles and flooring.
* Patterned towels can be used to bring style to the bathroom. Floral or polka dotted towels can add a country-chic touch, while stripy towels bring a contemporary feel.
How to care for bathroom towels
* Always wash bath towels for the first time before using them.
* Don’t use fabric softener as it will decrease the towel’s ability to absorb water.
Video Of The Week
*If you can, put your towels out on the line to dry to give them extra freshness. Driers are also great for adding extra softness. Don’t iron towels as this can make them stiff and scratchy and also make them less absorbent.