We earn a commission for products purchased through some links in this article.
Decorate your Christmas tree with homemade treats
Make delicious bird-shaped biscuits and hang them on your Christmas tree for all the family.
* 225g plain flour
* 1 tsp ground cinnamon
* 1 tsp ground ginger
* 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
* 60g unsalted butter
* 2 tbsps dark brown sugar
* 80g golden syrup
* 1 tbsp beaten egg
* Drinking straw
* Twine or narrow ribbon
Follow our step-by-step instructions:
1) Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5. Line two baking trays with baking parchment.
2) Sift the flour, cinnamon, ginger and bicarbonate of soda into a food processor. Add the butter and whizz in a processor until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
3) Add the sugar, golden syrup and egg, and blitz to make a soft dough.
Make the dough into a ball. Roll out the dough to a thickness of about 5mm.
4) Using a bird-shaped cutter press out the biscuits (see illustration above).
Push a drinking straw through each to make a hole. Transfer to the baking trays and bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Leave until firm then transfer to a rack to cool.
5) Thread twine
or narrow ribbon through the hole in each biscuit and tie a knot at the
ends (see illustration below). Hang on the tree.