Encourage birds to set up home in your garden with these beautiful birdhouses chosen by Country Homes & Interiors
One of life’s simple pleasures has to be looking out of your window to see different species of birds feeding in your garden. Even better still is finding out they’ve moved in.
Nesting season starts in March and can last through to July so there’s no time to waste if you want to attract nesting birds into your garden this year. We’ve discovered some gorgeous birdhouses on the market that will make perfect homes for feathered friends as well as sitting pretty in their surroundings. Here are five of our favourites…
1. A winning choice for style conscious birds (ok, we mean homeowners), these cute wooden New England birdhouses are from Laura Ashley. They cost £26 each, measure W20xL18xH25cm, and are available in cream. Or if you want to get creative and fancy a more colourful look, you can paint them in Laura Ashley’s garden paint, £35 per 2.5 litre can, in a choice of pale seaspray, pale apple, pale primrose, pale amethyst and duck egg.
2. We’ve been told on good authority that this natural number is a favourite for small birds such as blue tits, great tits, wrens, sparrows and bees. The Silver Birch Birdhouse from Hen & Hammock is made from a hollowed out silver birch log, costs £17 and measures H22xW20xD21cm. We love its rustic country style!
3. Vibrant and colourful, the animated style of this birdhouse makes it a home that Tweetie Pie would have been proud of! The Green Summer Fun Birdhouse is brought to you by dotcomgiftshop, costs £19.95 and measures H22xW17xL18cm. Made from metal and wood, the roof is hinged and the door has a spacious 3.4cm diameter for larger birds.
4. All country gardens should have one of these! The Green Country Cottage nest box, £19.99, can be found at Wyevale Garden Centres and offers the perfect country retreat for birds. Made from wood with a cute imitation slate roof, it measures H30xW12.5cm and even has its own cream front door.
Video Of The Week
Video Of The Week
5. This quirky Teapot Birdhouse by John Lewis ticks all of our boxes. Crafted from porcelain, with a heart-shaped entrance hole, miniature perch and rustic twine hanging loop, it measures H13xW21xD16cm and will add a lovely vintage feel to your garden.
6. Last but not least, we couldn’t resist mentioning this great idea for kids from Cuckooland. The Paint Your Own Birdhouse costs £14.95, is made from wood and comes with paints and a paintbrush included. It’s a great present for craft-loving kids or children interested in learning more about birds. Suitable for children over 6; measures H26.5xW15.5xD13.5cm.