Do you abide by these ‘rules’ in your home?
We’re a nation of house proud Brits. We can’t get enough of TV and online property porn, and like nothing better than showing off our style and personality at home.
But how seriously do you take your position of a proud homeowner?
A new study into life behind closed doors has revealed the top 50 house rules we’re living to – both in our own homes and other people’s.
No shoes on the sofa tops the list, followed by always flush the toilet (!) and no shoes worn past the front door.
The survey, by Yale UK, polled 2,000 people to compile the 50 rules. Do you live by them, or are you much more relaxed about your home – and your guests?
The list seems to get pretty strict as it goes on (no pets on the sofa?!) but we would love to know if you agree with the rules…
1. No shoes on the sofa
2. Always flush the toilet
3. Take your shoes off in the house
4. Put clothes in the wash basket
5. Turn out the lights when you’re not using a room
6. Empty the bath when you’re done
7. Don’t leave wet towels on the floor
8. No swearing
9. Turn off the TV when you’re not watching it
10. Toilet seat down
11. No balls in the house
12. Coats hung up not on banister
13. Put your shoes away when you take them off
14. Always lock the door when you leave
15. No slamming doors
16. Never leave anything lying about on the stairs
17. Don’t eat messy food on the sofa
18. Last one to go to bed must check the door is locked/windows shut etc.
19. Last one out locks the door
20. No looking at phones at the dinner table
21. Placing keys back in their designated spot/hook
22. No cups on table without a coaster
23. No food upstairs
24. Always put something back where you found it
25. Complete homework before playing
26. No shouting
27. No pets upstairs
28. Put plates in the dishwasher after eating
29. All food eaten at the table/ no food in living room
30. Don’t go to bed on an argument
31. No going to bed angry with each other
32. No snacking and ruining your dinner
33. Always use a coaster
34. No leaving dishes ‘to soak’
overnight because you’re too lazy to wash
35. No running in the house
36. Kids not allowed in the parents’
37. No video games past 9pm
38. No feeding the dogs at the dinner table
39. If you cook, your partner cleans
40. No boyfriends/girlfriends sleeping over
41. Certain windows shut at all times
42. No pets allowed on the sofa
43. No drawing or painting in the bedroom/lounge
44. Not allowed to sit in dad’s chair
45. Leave keys on the side near the front door
46. Put your dirty shoes in the garage
47. Pet not allowed in the front room
48. No kids in the study
49. No ball games in the garden
Video Of The Week
50. No talking with your mouth full
Animal lover? Check out our easy way to make your home pet friendly.