Who stocks hinged curtain poles? Learn all about drapery arms and where to buy them

If your home has deep-set windows, these solutions could help...

Our cottage has deep-set windows. I'm sure I have seen hinged curtain poles that swing open along the inside of the window and door embrasures and hope that you can recommend a supplier?

Drapery arm is the correct name for a hinged curtain pole and is one of the prettiest ways to hang curtains at deep-set cottage or dormer windows, or across a door. Unless the window is very narrow, a pair of arms that swing the curtains together to meet in the centre of the window will be more attractive than hanging the curtains from a single arm.

Another reason to use a pair of arms rather than a single one is that the hinge can only support lightweight curtains and, as they must be self- or contrast-lined (they are seen on one side when open and the other when closed), a single arm may dip under the weight.

You should find what you need from one of these suppliers:

Suppliers of drapery arms for deep-set windows

Hallis Hudson supplies white-coated 20 mm diameter metal drapery arms with gliders, and 20 mm diameter brass drapery arms with brass rings.

Cope & Timmins can offer 16 mm diameter black, white or silver-coated arms, some with gliders and some with rings, or polished brass arms with rings.

Hunter & Hyland has a made-to-order service for brass drapery arms in a chrome, nickel or antiqued finish.

These companies all supply through large and small soft-furnishing retailers, including shops in your area, as well as stores such as John Lewis.

Prices for drapery arms range from around £25 up to more than £75.


Tamara was Ideal Home's Digital Editor before joining the Woman & Home team in 2022. She has spent the last 15 years working with the style teams at Country Homes & Interiors and Ideal Home, both now at Future PLC. It’s with these award wining interiors teams that she's honed her skills and passion for shopping, styling and writing. Tamara is always ahead of the curve when it comes to interiors trends – and is great at seeking out designer dupes on the high street.