The Home Of Great Ideas For More Than 100 Years
Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
For many of us, the sofa is the focal point of our home. It's where we settle after a long day and cosy up with our loved ones. But even the most comfy of couches can fall a bit flat in the style stakes. As it's likely to be the largest piece of furniture in the room, it pays to make it look its best. Pile on the pillows, dress with a snuggly throw and frame your sofa with a tall lamp and practical end table. There's plenty you can do to turn your favourite spot into the striking feature it deserves to be.
1. Choose a bold lighting fixture to frame your sofa. A standard lamp will add height and showcase your favourite seating spot. Go for warm bulbs to add a cosy feeling, and try a brightly coloured lampshade to co-ordinate with your decor choice.
2. Make a feature of the sofa by placing assorted vases of blooms on a nearby console or coffee table. Carry the floral look through to your cushions, curtains and soft furnishings for a cheerful feel.
3. The space above the sofa itself can often be forgotten, so hang an assortment of prints in mix-matched frames that coordinate with the overall scheme. Group in odd numbers to create harmony and visual interest, or go for a symmetrical arrangement to balance the look.
4. Inject interest into a modern scheme with striking colour and geometrics. If you've got a plain backdrop, opt for a stand-out sofa, like this one in yellow, and dress it with graphic cushions to create a visual feast.
5. Make a feature of the sofa by placing assorted vases of blooms on a nearby console or coffee table. Carry the floral look through to your cushions, curtains and soft furnishings for a cheerful feel.
Amy Hodge has been working on interiors magazines for over 11 years. She's a freelance writer and sub editor who has worked for some of the UK's leading interiors magazines including Ideal Home, Style at Home and Country Homes & Interiors. She started at Style at Home just after it launched as food editor and is now chief sub editor for Ideal Home, Style at Home and Country Homes & Interiors.
Aldi's new window mirror is a must-have for stylish homes - and under £100
That's a saving worth reflecting on
By Tamara Kelly
Hallway flooring ideas - pretty and practical flooring solutions
Flooring sets the scene, so it is a very important starting point for your hallway design
By Jennifer Ebert
This month's top garden furniture deals – shop the biggest Bank Holiday sales
Our round-up of the top garden furniture deals on offer right now; from discounted dining sets to savvy savings on outdoor sofas
By Amy Lockwood