Create homemade pot-pourri
Making pot-pourri is much more satisfying than using shop-bought.
1. Line the base of a roasting pan with greaseproof paper. Carefully pick the leaves, petals and buds from gathered herbs and flowers. Scatter on the tray, along with thin slices of citrus fruit.
2. Place in the oven at a low temperature (110°C/Fan 90°F/Gas 1/4) for a few hours. Keep an eye on the petals, as they can catch easily.
3. Once cool, use a dropper to sprinkle over a few drops of your favourite essential oil. Blend then place into a bowl, ready or use.
Make citrus room fragrancers
Dot these simply crafted fruit pomanders around the home.
1. Cut citrus fruit in half, remove fruit centre and pat dry with a paper towel.
2. Pour some sea salt crystals into a bowl (add spices or cloves if you like) and shake in a few drops of essential oil.
3. Stir, then add a few more drops, if necessary, for more scent. Press the mix into the citrus half.
4. Cut a circle of muslin about 2cm larger in diameter than the fruit half and place on top.
5. Hold in place with an elastic band before covering with ribbon or string.
Light citronella candle jars
Keep mosquitoes away with cute home-crafted citronella candle.
1. Wrap wire around the rim of a jar, then make into a loop for a handle.
2. Add fresh lemon peel and rosemary sprigs to the jar to keep the water clear.
3. Pour in some water, then add a couple of drops of citronella essential oil and give a gentle stir. Place an unscented floating candle on top of the water and light to keep your home and outdoor dining spaces mozzie free.
4. Add ribbons and hessian trim around the top of the jars for a decorative touch.
*Tip Shake in more citronella if required – or add country favourite lavender for a high-summer scent.
Display and dry fragrant herbs
Tie herbs to a wreath to create a perfumed display.
1. Cut herbs – and flowers, if you like – leaving long stems, and group into even bundles.
2. Tie with twine, then secure into place on the wreath, hanging each bundle an equal distance apart.
3. Hang the whole wreath with plaited twine or rope tied to four sides.
*Tip Try different herbs to get a variety of scents. Mix lavender and rosemary for an intense perfume and, when dried, use to scent linens; or gather m int, thyme and rosemary for culinary purposes.
Feeling inspired? For more summer craft ideas visit the Country Homes & Interiors homepage...
Get the Ideal Home Newsletter
Sign up to our newsletter for style and decor inspiration, house makeovers, project advice and more.
Ginevra Benedetti has been the Deputy Editor of Ideal Home magazine since 2021. With a career in magazines spanning nearly twenty years, she has worked for the majority of the UK’s interiors magazines, both as staff and as a freelancer. She first joined the Ideal Home team in 2011, initially as the Deputy Decorating Editor and has never left! She currently oversees the publication of the brand’s magazine each month, from planning through to publication, editing, writing or commissioning the majority of the content.
Pro Breeze 30L High Capacity Smart Dehumidifier review – tried and tested
Our Pro Breeze 30L High Capacity Smart Dehumidifier review puts one of the most powerful dehumidifiers on the market to the test. Here's why we recommend it for major damp problems
By Rachael Penn
This wooden kitchen is a masterclass in creating a timeless, but contemporary space perfect for a family
With careful planning, this kitchen has been turned into a colourful, family-friendly space
By Marisha Taylor
There's still time to claim £150 off your energy bills using the Warm Home Discount – here's how
What you need to do now to apply to the scheme
By Thea Babington-Stitt
6 ways to organise your craft room
Get your craft room in order so you have the perfect space to work on your projects.
By Amy Hodge
Handmade just-for-you gifts
Get into the festive spirit by handcrafting a special gift for a loved one
By Sara Bird
5 junk shop buys you can upcycle in less than 2 hours
Have you picked up a bargain from a charity shop or online and need some inspiration on how to revamp it? Take a look at our fab upcycling ideas, which will take you less than 2 hours to complete.
By Amy Hodge
Create a retro display with fabric hoops
Our wall art is easy to make and it makes a great gift too!
By Holly Walsh
How to keep your family organised
Make this stylish wall organiser to keep family life on track. Country Homes and Interiors shows you how…
By Tara King
How to make covered files
Discover how to make these colourful covered files using Country Homes & Interiors' easy instructions
By Caroline Keenan
How to make a pocketed wall organiser
Make a smart wall-hung wall organiser following Country Homes and Interiors’ simple instructions
By Caroline Keenan
How to make fabric envelopes
These easy to sew fabric envelopes from Country Homes and Interiors make great storage bags for your craft corner
By Caroline Keenan