With summer on the way it's time for a lifestyle shift, from the confines of the home to the joys of the great outdoors, and an outdoor sofa will help to transform a garden into an external living space. As it will be kept outside most of the time, it's important that the sofa you choose is durable as well as comfortable and stylish. These are our five favourite designs.
1. Grid modular furniture This collection of complementary pieces of modular furniture by Gloster has won the Red Dot award for product design and makes for a truly luxurious addition to the garden. Combine the individual elements, from loungers and sofas to ottomans and tables, into a configuration to suit you for a flexible option. The pieces have aluminium frames so that they won't rust, and the design is perfect if you want a contemporary look.
2. Casablanca three-seater sofa With a powder-coated aluminium frame and natural-coloured woven polyester bands, this design is chic yet also durable for outdoor use. Garpa's Casablanca range also features a wide selection of tables and chairs for a cohesive look in the garden.
3. Käbu sofa An elegant design that wouldn't look out of place in an interior room scheme, this outdoor sofa by Javier Pastor at Expormim has a name that means ‘curve' in Japanese. All-weather materials ensure the sofa can cope with the rigors of outdoor use.
4. Conic two-seater module The Conic range of modular garden furniture, available from Cane-line, includes this two-seater module, which would look great on its own or in combination with other pieces from the range. The cushions are covered in all-weather material.
5. Ibiza lounge sofa Inspired by the Baleriac island, this design by Rivièra Maison has a rattan frame with plump white cushions, making it a comfortable option with cool style. Great for recreating the Ibiza vibe over evening drinks in the garden.
Find more ideas for your garden at Housetohome.
Get the Ideal Home Newsletter
Sign up to our newsletter for style and decor inspiration, house makeovers, project advice and more.
Tamara was Ideal Home's Digital Editor before joining the Woman & Home team in 2022. She has spent the last 15 years working with the style teams at Country Homes & Interiors and Ideal Home, both now at Future PLC. It’s with these award wining interiors teams that she's honed her skills and passion for shopping, styling and writing. Tamara is always ahead of the curve when it comes to interiors trends – and is great at seeking out designer dupes on the high street.
Bold, funky and bursting with character, see how Ideal Home has incorporated '70s-inspired decor then and now
Take a look at these retro interior trends then and now
By Molly Cleary
Duux Bora Smart 20L Dehumidifier review – tried and tested
Our Duux Bora Smart 20L Dehumidifier review finds that a built-in carbon filter means this dehumidifier doesn't just remove moisture, but odours too
By Rachael Penn
How to prune tomato plants to ensure a delicious harvest
It doesn't take long, but you'll be rewarded for this effort
By Thea Babington-Stitt