Maybe you've just moved into a new area and need to make acquaintances or maybe you've been living in your home for a while but are fed up with being ships who pass in the night? Well, things could soon change; a recent survey of 2,000 adults, commissioned by Making Local Woods Work, have found the top 20 tips that could get you chin-wagging over the garden fence and putting each other's wheelie bins out in no time.
Researchers found simply saying hello, having a cup of tea with the neighbours and getting a dog are sure-fire ways to get to know your locals. Norman Dandy of Making Local Woods Work said: 'It’s the simplest things that can make the difference between someone settling into a new community quickly or not. Just saying “hello” or taking a parcel in for a neighbour can be all it takes.'
The study also found two in five said hectic lifestyles are to blame for not getting to know the local community better. Three in ten wish they knew their neighbour better, although three quarters said they have made an effort to integrate into their local community. Almost two thirds of those polled believe community engagement is an important function of society.
About to get new neighbours? 7 easy ways to take the stress out of buying a new home
TOP 20 - BEST WAYS BEFRIEND NEIGHBOURS
- Simply say hello to your neighbours
- Visit the local pub
- Take in a parcel for your neighbour
- Make an effort to talk to everyone on the street
- Invite neighbours round for a cup of tea
- Volunteer for a local community project
- Invite your neighbour round for dinner or a BBQ
- Offer to watch a neighbour’s house while away
- Attend the local school fete
- Put your neighbour’s rubbish out
- Get a dog
- Compliment people on their car/garden
- Attend all community events
- Take a bottle wine round to your neighbours when you move in
- Water your neighbour’s plants when they away
- Spend lots of time in the front garden and chat to everyone who walks by
- Offer to look after the neighbour's cat
- Join a fitness class e.g spinning, yoga, Pilates
- Get involved with the local church e.g ringing church bells
- Attend council meetings
Need some curb apeal? What does the colour of your front door say about you?
Before you know it you could be hosting a neighbourly coffee morning, just don't run out of sugar!
Get the Ideal Home Newsletter
Sign up to our newsletter for style and decor inspiration, house makeovers, project advice and more.
Rachel Homer has been in the interiors publishing industry for over 15 years. Starting as a Style Assistant on Inspirations Magazine, she has since worked for some of the UK’s leading interiors magazines and websites. After starting a family, she moved from being a content editor at Idealhome.co.uk to be a digital freelancer and hasn’t looked back.
How to balance radiators - the little-known household task experts swear will slash your energy bills this winter
When was the last time you balanced your radiators?
By Lauren Bradbury
Christmas gifts under £100 - top treats your loved ones this year
If it's gorgeous gifts under £100 mark that you're looking for, you've come to the right place. Get through your gift list with help from this brilliant round-up of potential presents, from some of our favourite brands
By Ginevra Benedetti
That real Christmas tree feeling is a thing – and experts warn you're missing big well-being benefits by going faux
Choosing to go fresh isn't just about looks and scent...
By Jullia Joson