From white-washed walls to watery ocean blues, 7 style takeaways inspired by the Mediterranean
Sapphire blue seas, sun-drenched floors, white-washed walls, pops of cherry red and layers of naive pattern… the decorating tropes inspired by the Mediterranean never ceases to inspire. Fortunately, you don’t have to own an adobe villa in Santorini or a terracotta-tiled pensione on the Costa Brava to indulge in the relaxed, easy and rather intoxicating style of the Southern European coastline. Oh for a beaker full of the warm south…
1. Get the blues. A watery palette of ocean blues and cyan sets a relaxed vibe. Layer swathes of patterned fabrics in washed out dip dyes or splashy prints to keep things casual. Low level furniture is also much less format. Just the place for kicking back with an ouzo or a sangria after a hard day in the sun.
Walls painted in Mambo Intelligent, Little Grene, Chiffon White, Dulux and St Giles Blue, Farroww & Ball. Curtains made in striped Tatami, Sanderson and Envoutante, Camengo. Sofa by Content by Conran. Rug by Heal’s.
2. White with everything
Naive motifs always pack a punch and in bold cherry red, lift and all-white scheme. Recreate the rustic charm of a white-washed cottage by painting a rug directly onto the floor. Raw and rustic but utterly genius!
Walls painted in Chiffon White, Dulux. Cushions made in Berry linen, Christopher Farr (left) and Chevron Crewel cotton, West Elm (right). Faux-rug painted in All-White, Farrow & Ball and Raspberry Bellini, Dulux.
3. Go geo Never mind the scale, layer on the geometric pattern in a simple aquamarine palette for a sun-drenched look straight out of the Greek islands.
Window panel made in Kyoto Koi cotton, Korla. Porcelain floor tiles by Fired Earth. Cushion by West Elm.
4. Splish splodge. The inky marks of this aquamarine print evoke thoughts of rugged coastlines. Keep things modern with pops or scarlet.
Wall papered in Shoji by Scion. Rug by Urban Outfitters.
5. Mono Med Give monochrome a Mediterranean twist by working it in striking patterns and bold geometric shapes. A filmy mosquito net adds glamour, while keep the bugs at bay…
Curtain canopy (left) made in Cerillo, Designers Guild and Harmony Jasper, Mark Alexander (right), and trimmed with bobbles by VV Rouleaux and tassels by MacCulloch & Wallis. Valance made from Turkish Maze by Vanderhurd. Headboard upholstered in Cameron Velvet, also by Vanderhurd. Rug by Ikea.
6. Passion for pattern Work up a frenzy of passion in scarlet shades. Dampen the fire using white leather and soft wool textures.
Curtain made from Rose Indien, Manuel Canovas at Colefax and Fowler, trimmed with tassels and braid by Osborne & Little and VV Rouleaux.
7. It’s cool to be coastal
Understairs papered in Mumtaz by Osborne & Little. Walls lined with Shri by Harlequin. Chair painted in selected paints from Dulux.
For more great decorating ideas, go to housetohome.co.uk/livingetc