We earn a commission for products purchased through some links in this article.
Is your home in need of a little refresh? Take a look at these life-changing makeovers that take a range of rooms from drab and dingy to bright and beautiful
You know the feeling when a room just isn’t working? Perhaps it’s the woeful lack of storage or maybe it’s the depressing amount of natural light, either way you know it’s time for an overhaul.
Here at Ideal Home, we’ve hunted down the top 10 makeovers that prove that with an eye for reinvention and a clever design concept you can transform any room to create the space of your dreams.
1. BEFORE: With overcrowded worktops and dated cabinetry, this kitchen is in need of some serious TLC!
AFTER: The room has been knocked through to create a large open plan space. We love the glossy white units and bold red accent colours.
2. BEFORE: The owner of this home had to tackle a separate toilet and bathroom PLUS 1970s wallpaper, unconvincing marble-effect tiles and a miserable laminate floor.
AFTER: The two rooms have been knocked into one which makes the space feel big, bright and beautiful. The old toilet has been replaced with a fresh white bathroom suite (thank god)! It definitely gets the thumbs up from us!
3. BEFORE: The picture might dodgy, but it’s clear to see that this wood-effect kitchen was drab and dated…
AFTER: Gorgeous modern cabinets, a wood effect worktop and plenty of pretty details create a fun, family kitchen space.
4. BEFORE: This large space has plenty of potential, but carpet in the bathroom? No thanks…
AFTER: Metro tiles, a beautiful roll-top bath and reclaimed floorboards give this space the wow-factor.
5. BEFORE: This kitchen is packed with clutter PLUS the room feels dark, dated and gloomy…
AFTER: We love the Scandinavian simplicity, especially the smart white marble worktops and the two-tone cabinetry.
6. BEFORE: This bathroom can be summed up in three words: boring, white and sterile…
AFTER: This makeover is a triumph! We LOVE the mint green metro tiles and a smart curved bathroom suite.
7. BEFORE: This kitchen is very dated – it even has carpet!
AFTER: Gloss cabinets, sleek handles and colourful tiles give the space a bright and cheery look. The carpet has been replaced with good quality laminate flooring. Hoorah!
8. BEFORE: This unloved room features sky blue tiles and a mismatching border. Definitely gets the thumbs down from us.
AFTER: A stunning roll top bath, marble floor tiles and wood panelling give this beautiful bathroom a vintage look with a modern twist. Fantastic!
9. BEFORE: The hazy picture does not convey the full horror of this 1980s kitchen – complete with broken cabinets, flaking paint and cracked tiles.
AFTER: Wowzer, the streamlined space has been opened up – allowing light to flood into the room. We love the chunky polished concrete worktop.
10. BEFORE: A depressing box room with dodgy floorboards and a 1970s-themed wallpaper.
AFTER: A gorgeous bathroom complete with a separate shower cubicle, large sink area and marble splashback. Stunning.