The Home Of Great Ideas For More Than 100 Years
Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
Darken the mood with beautiful, brave black!
It's the colour of the season and one that won't date either. Pair with white for a sophisticated look or accessorise with punchy brights, for an up-to-date decorating statement.
1. Bright splashy florals against a black backdrop make for a beautiful wallpaper design. Shrinking violets could experiment with this look on a small area, such as a chimney breast, or it would look wonderful in a small room, such as a cloakroom or ceiling instead!
2. It's undeniably masculine, but the combination of black gloss units and impressive American-style fridge freezer in brushed stainless steel is a super-slick look. A beautiful black-veined marble worktop adds a luxurious finish.
3. A jet black feature wall makes everything else in this living room pop. The contemporary fireplace, colourful artwork and richness of the block colours on furnishings and accessories all work together to great effect.
4. The classic colour combination of black and white is sophisticated, chic and timeless. The solid black of the wall paneling here allows for some fun with stripes and graphic patterns, as do the bright orange side tables, with floral display to match.
5. A black-painted floor not only looks stunning, but can cover a multitude of sins. To get a truly black, glossy floor, power sand the original boards and then apply at least three coats of stain (with 12 hours drying time in between) and finally finish with two coats of varnish.
6. Architectural details such as doors, door jambs and skirting boards look amazing when given the black treatment, especially against white walls. Here gloss black paint, monochrome tiles and charcoal black furniture and carpets create a deliciously decadent scheme.
Thea Babington-Stitt is the Assistant Editor for Ideal Home. Thea has been working across some of the UK’s leading interiors titles for nearly 10 years.
She started working on these magazines and websites after graduating from City University London with a Masters in Magazine Journalism. Before moving to Ideal Home, Thea was News and Features Editor at Homes & Gardens, LivingEtc and Country Homes & Interiors.
Paloma Faith's Home Truths - discover what the singer loves about her home
Singer, songwriter and actress Paloma Faith gets up close and personal about what her home means to her
By Ginevra Benedetti
DIYer gave a dated kitchen a dreamy sage green makeover for under £200
A lifeless kitchen was given a serious glow-up thanks for some savvy budget hacks and charity shop buys
By Laurie Davidson
Coat hanging ideas – 10 clever solutions whether on display or tidied away
Keep outdoor wear under control with hooks, racks, hidden cupboards and more
By Jacky Parker