Get extra storage in an instant with a new shelf – but read our handy tips first to get it right.
With floating shelves, you can get extra storage or display space in a day – but make sure you do a bit of planning to avoid any disasters.
1. Decide which shelving will work best in your room – would MDF or chipboard work? Or do you need glass or metal?
2. Consider what you will be using the shelves for as this will dictate how many you need, and how high you should position them. If you want to put storage baskets underneath, the lowest shelf should be at least 90cm from the floor.
3. Use an electronic detector to find out whether the wall where you plan to hang the shelves is free from pipes and cables.
4. Make sure the wall is strong enough to support the weight of what you are going to put on the shelf.
5. Read our instructions on how to put up a shelf, or have a tradesman do it for you. If you need to find a local one, Rated People has thousands of recommended experts that can help you.